Movies, weeeeee !

NFL
The diss'ing by Major League Sports of the City of Detroit, Mi.
Movies
Comedy
H.Stern [No under age creeps in there ! Or pompous goody 2 shoes !]
Ancestry . com
-
TheeTFD

Re: Movies, weeeeee !

Post by TheeTFD »

---cont.----

5. The number of tornadoes in the one area (scene when the firenado formed) seemed ridiculous. There was one shot of a multiple vortex tornado that looked decent, but then to have that many independent tornados around seemed far-fetched if not impossible. All of these looked like relatively narrow, drill-bit style satellite tornadoes, yet there are vehicles flying through the air!

6. Conversation between Allison and one of the videographers: there's a wall cloud - "but no vortex"... Say what?!?

7. Allison tells one of the videographers: "there's that vorticity stretching I was telling you about" - well I guess that might be technically correct, a visibly rotating supercell is a manifestation of vorticity stretching, but still seems an odd reference to make!

8. There were TV monitors in the mobile radar truck, and I could have sworn they had the same audio playing in the background twice - a TV meteorologist talking about it shaping up to be a "dangerous afternoon." The second time I heard this, the background voice also made reference to "sunshine... all the ingredients are in place." This might have been a valid comment if heard earlier, but this was at a point when the town had already been hit by at least two tornadic supercells and there was a constant backdrop of clouds.

9. The Titus goes sailing up above the clouds - even if it went sailing up through the tornado, and into the mid-level mesocyclone, is it at all possible that a vehicle could continue up and out of the updraft to the clear skies above the anvil? And even if it could, Pete should have already died or passed out from lack of oxygen and/or cold temperatures.

10. As the "eye" of the tornado passes over them, Allison refers to winds being even stronger on the back side of the tornado. Seems like a perverse amalgamation of hurricane and tornado terminology!

11. How could a high school be used as a shelter even after its structural integrity has been compromised by an earlier tornado? And getting in the buses? Come on!

12. At least one of the wall cloud / funnel formation shots looked decent, but a missed opportunity to show some realistic and impressive supercell structure. Most of the movie took place under a featureless cloud deck.

13. The chasers seem to have gotten caught by surprise by tornado formation a couple of times while within "downtown" areas. Again, are you chasing this thing or not???

I'm sure there's more, but I'll leave some for others to point out.
----cont.----
# :idea: Trump and Putin out of the picture !
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

----cont.----

Some miscellaneous observations:

- Humorous depiction of the yahoo chasers and nice to see a distinction between these guys and the "serious" chasers.

- I watched all the credits to see if any names I recognized were involved as consultants or whatnot. The only name I saw in this regard was Martin Lisius, and credit was given for his stock photography, not for consultation.

-
Quote Originally Posted by Mtobin View Post
[You can see from the get go they tried to morph Reed Timmer and Sean Casey into the character Pete.]

Agree completely, I had the exact same thought. And I couldn't help but wonder if they modeled Allison after Karen Kosiba - even bore a slight resemblance to her. Google her if you don't recognize the name.

-
Quote Originally Posted by Dan Robinson View Post
[Did anyone else notice the jump cut? I can't remember the scene it was in, but it was pretty obvious. I was like, did I just see a jump cut edit in a Hollywood movie? I don't know if it was a projector glitch or not, but it was there.]

Dan, I noticed that too - it was one of the scenes where the guy and girl were trapped under that old paper mill. I couldn't tell if it was a sloppy edit, or if it was meant to be that way as part of the whole found-footage thing...

thx James C.
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

"Into the Storm"
This was found footage ? Most everyone lived...?
The jump cut wasn't that bad, one second they are cutting a guy out of the minivan the next scene they are placing him on the ground. Maybe a boom got in the way.
So everyone needs to speak with Caruso's nomenclature. Caruso fell in love with Allison that's why he is so harsh on her ! He wants to sex her.
Allison's pants should've blown off while held airborne, I guess that's why they wear them so tight.
The church is on one side of the street then it's on the other. Nope my bad
The object that hit the bus at the manhole was gratuitous, where did it come from with that kind of power ?
Peter didn't go up 10k feet maybe 3k-4k ft. not enough to freeze him. Didn't look like the top of an anvil. Good news, he could've survived, maybe the trees
broke his fall.

The father goes driving straight at a tornado...wow !
It should be noted Peter was trying to save lives when the Titus wench [5k rated] snapped without yanking all the people out of the manhole !Wrong again
the bumper was torn off.

Couldn't hear repetitive reports from the TV monitors, I couldn't understand half of what anybody was saying.
Watched it again and saw more neat stuff. Like the inflow that sucked that guy up the flaming nader, cool death.
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

------cont.-----from James Caruso's critic at Stormtrack.org

I knew that "Into the Storm" would not be authentic, but still I was really looking forward to seeing it. There seemed to be a lot of cynicism among us about this movie prior to its release, but come on - storm chasing is what we love, so how could it not be a great thing to be able to see a mainstream Hollywood movie depicting chasing on the big screen, however ridiculous, campy and comic-book-like that depiction might be??? I even thought seeing the movie with my wife was some small way to share my love for chasing with her - far easier than getting her to sit through my chase vacation videos!

Tyrant, sadist, mean
2. Multiple references to the "system" expanding and increasing the threat. To me a "system" is a synoptic reference. What does it mean to be "expanding"??? If you're talking about an expansion of storm coverage, then that decreases the likelihood of a discrete supercell with a violent long-track tornado. In at least one instance, "system" seemed to be used to refer to a supercell, which I do not think is appropriate nomenclature.

Clearly you didn't understand that system. That supercell was mutating into something F5 ! It's like thinking: making a hurricane larger would weaken the storm !

4. In numerous scenes, the characters are out running around in debris fields. Trees and cars flying everywhere, yet the characters are impervious to any of the shrapnel. Same goes for the vehicles; the "Titus" was supposed to be a tank, so fair enough - but the radar truck was following right behind, somehow also impenetrable to the flying debris.

Come on, this is typical Hollywood, you can shoot a hundred arrows at the hero and none harm him. How about the mounting brackets on those monitors not breaking when the truck flipped.
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

----cont.----from StormTracK.org

5. The number of tornadoes in the one area (scene when the firenado formed) seemed ridiculous. There was one shot of a multiple vortex tornado that looked decent, but then to have that many independent tornados around seemed far-fetched if not impossible. All of these looked like relatively narrow, drill-bit style satellite tornadoes, yet there are vehicles flying through the air!

Yes gratuitous debris but maybe in between sisters or triplets you could get amplified wind speed.
-
6. Conversation between Allison and one of the videographers: there's a wall cloud - "but no vortex"... Say what?!?

What you can't have a wall cloud and no rotation or any vorticity ? Are they mutually exclusive ? They wanted vortex.
_
10. As the "eye" of the tornado passes over them, Allison refers to winds being even stronger on the back side of the tornado. Seems like a perverse amalgamation of hurricane and tornado terminology!

What a F5 doesn't have an eye ? Pushed side of the nader is faster than returning side. Yeah, you would expect RFD.

11. How could a high school be used as a shelter even after its structural integrity has been compromised by an earlier tornado? And getting in the buses? Come on!

No you come on. After all the crap about "dive in a ditch, don't get in a car and try to out run, go to the center of the building...". It's still a no win situation. I assumed the buses could go away from the F5. Or at least 90* away.

12. At least one of the wall cloud / funnel formation shots looked decent, but a missed opportunity to show some realistic and impressive supercell structure. Most of the movie took place under a featureless cloud deck.

I disagree, several shots showed vorticity but has anyone seen inside an anvil and watched hail rise and fall then rotation "lead" it's way down ? I thought it was believable. They also tried to show ground level sweeping which is difficult to view.
"Wall Cloud" is that a good name ? I'd prefer "Under Plate", unless it is perpendicular.
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

Fury

Saw "Fury" it was pretty good. I was worried it would come off small time as I saw a TV trailer that made a rocket explosion look half-ass.
I question some of the tactics these "Shermans" use when confronted by a superior "Tiger". They knew they had to get behind it to kill it but used the smoke for a frontal assault.
It had some good clean violence. But what are the chances a tank crew has 2 semi religious men inside.
They are quoting verse in there.
Of course there was rape of German women when Allied forces took German towns. But these guys found a little happiness, and wouldn't share with the rest of the crew.
With whom they shared everything else. Maybe the violence against women movement curtailed some of that ?
Brad Pitt has starred in 2 movies now where he is a Nazi hater.
So anyway they get stuck at a crossroad and duke it out with 100 determined Germans, knowing it is a no win situation.
------------------------------------------
So you want to stop the advance of over 100 Krauts by throwing grenades out of the tank after they have
walked up on it ? They still had shells to use, I would've bracketed the Krauts front and back and leveled
the trees they had to hide/cover in. I would've put the machine-guns in the woods for a cross-fire and retreat.
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

The Signal
Fairly smart plot where it keeps you guessing who is the alien.
A couple "Blair Witch" moments but still I recommend it.
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

GIRL GONE

Saw Girl Gone cause Dre said it was good.
Dre, I feel like I got played. The plot has errors. One, as soon as the local detective saw, "clue one " she should've known they were being played !
Two, when Ben got the second or third clue why didn't he come forth ? Don't say it was because he had cheated.
Because he was already the top suspect.
See it --- it'll get to you.
It's at discount rate now.
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

Pyramid
Fun movie about how losing money can get you in more trouble trying to get it back.
Maybe as bad as my gambling addiction.
Anyway this pyramid was made to keep something in and trap intruders.
I don't know who was most stupid, the seasoned PhD in archaeology or the Heroin his daughter.
I thought it delivered. Good movie !
You know those Egyptians had to deal with jackal headed devils and stuff ! [Moses then Jesus]
And all they had was the great Ramses.
Exodus - Gods and Kings
I thought it was a good Moses story, again.
go see it
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

The Fuel Film
-
By Josh Tickell 2010
This Aussie recounts over the 11 yr it took to make the film the foibles of trying get America off it's oil addiction.
First it all makes sense and his BioFuel gets popular, then it gets trashed.
Very enlightening !
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

The Hurricane
-
An older movie I caught on DVD.
I purposely didn't want to see it when it came out. Typical Black Man getting abused stuff is a sorrow/disgust I don't need.
Very believable / popular leading actor.
All I can say is don't try and punk A Canadians love !
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

Barbarella circa 1971 ?
starring Jane Fonda
-
WoW, I would say Jane is very much the equal of Nicole Kidman.
Before Nicole did some plastic surgery to her eyes, she had a slightly sinister look between the eyes.
Nicole has the sharpest blue eyes period but Jane was very beautiful too.
Jane may've had prettier feet. You rarely see Nicole's. Nicole might have some 5" toes down there !
Nicole is an inch or 2 taller.
But everything else is a match.
Both have legs that'll stop a construction crew.
There will be no complaining/comparing about either's butt and hips. They yummy as they is.
_
You know who has some -how do I describe them - feet ? Debra Winger [other than that Debra is very classy]
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

HEART of the SEA looks very good but is not getting the good pub ?
---Saw "Heart, it was pretty good, I don't know that Ron Howard has made a bad film.
-
Gods of Egypt looks very good too but may be a little over the top.
It was kinda fun.
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

Martian
-
I like Kirsten Wiig.
But she played some kind of spokesperson for NASA in this movie.
I don't think anyone was ready for that !
Look at it this way, what if Melissa McCarthy was the that same spokesperson ?!
No way we save that Martian !
What if she dropped a piece of pizza on a launch button ?
They are all dead !
Wiig, is good goofing on her gal-pals etc.
I think the Academy Awards/SAG should warn us of big changes like this. I was uncomfortable all movie
waiting for her to wreck things !
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

Diary of a Teenage Girl
Wiig is so BS in this movie.
Her daughter takes down her boyfriend and she is upset, BS, she would/should've praised her.
And given her contraception.
Well the guys should like this one. :D :D