B-17 saga
" 3 Lion Cream "
Rome 100 AD
TheeTFD

Mother & Country

Post by TheeTFD »

Mother and Country
-
This was a rare B-17 Flying Fortress, it had two names. One on each side under the pilots windows.
The other name was the "Pink Lady".
In the movie "Memphis Belle" Mother and Country was on her maiden/rookie sortie.
However I read she did 7 missions.
The waist gunner of M&C shoots down an "09"*. This is where this story begins. 6-14-1944
About a week after D-day.

note: B-17 cruises loaded at ~175 mph, when there are 100's in formation there can
be little deviation from the formation. Evasive maneuvers were frowned upon. One
reason is friendly-fire. Fighters screaming through the "Box" a gunner could mistakenly
plug a sister ship.

--- "Cobra flight form up on me. Escape into the sun". Ordered Flight Leader Major Gruden.
"Strauss take the top turret. Ziegler take the left engines and cockpit." I have left waist, ordered Gruden.
"They are going into the sun, shoot the sun." Begged the left waist of the Memphis Belle.
Top turret squinted into the sun and let off a burst.
--- Gruden saw Hoyt go down trailing smoke. He made no evasive maneuver after his firing pass.
It must've been fatigue. Gruden had seen lazy mistakes before. Now he wanted revenge for his
friend. Strauss timed his dive to dump maximum stream on the twin 50 caliber's of the top turret.
In the blink of an eye the top turret of the Mother and Country B-17 became a dripping bloody mess.
Ziegler sashayed across the wing and cockpit smoking both engines and killing the co-pilot. Gruden put
a thorough stream through the waist almost cutting the rugged bomber in two. Greasing/spluuging/
mangling the airmen in the most horrific way. Gruden knew he spent to many seconds of ammo on
a somewhat meaningless target but he felt much better. And he knew to do a half roll putting the bottom
of the plane between him and any lucky gunners. The seat [chair] was thick metal.
--- There wasn't much Capt. Kimbro could do for his co-pilot. But pull him off the steering yoke. The plane
was still flying but losing altitude fast. He hit the bail-out alarm. He needed to check on his crew.
What a grizzly sight, about the worst that can happen to a bomber. The bombardier wasn't there so he
must've bailed. He walked the bloody trail that was the fuselage of his plane. He moved fast past the
dripping top turret. He stepped on or around what used to be his waist gunners. There was no tail
gunner, he must've gotten out. He checked his parachute and remembered the ball-turret ! He stepped
back and unlatched the lid. Another horrific sight. Kimbro jumped out a side door just as the plane
started to roll over into the death spiral.

page 1
# :idea: Trump and Putin out of the picture !
TheeTFD

Re: Mother & Country

Post by TheeTFD »

Post by TheeTFD » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:06 pm
pg 2
-
You could pretty much say German Pilots fought to the last man or airplane.
Luftwaffe fluggen
--- Kimbro questioned his sanity. Trusting a parachute with his life! All he
could do now is get his feet under himself. Looking down, fairly scary at 5000 ft.
He could see flashes of battle. Finally his chute opened, snapping him around
a little. He looked for where he might be landing. He kicked his legs and pulled
at the chute. Trying to get a 360* view. The floating was fairly serene now. Just a
light breeze pushing him. Suddenly he heard a bullet whiz by. Immediately pulling
left to get some distance from the shot. Looking down he could just make out a
couple soldiers. He kept drifting left. Getting close to the ground he could see
where he might land, either in trees or near trees. He could see bodies moving
below.
--- PFC Donner heard the shot that whizzed by Capt. Kimbro. He told PSC William
to secure the parachutist. He would take care of the shooter about 150 yd away.
PSC Growther was to stay put. The color of Kimbro's uniform told William that
the parachutist was probably Allied. He snuck close enough to speak, "American".
Kimbro fumbled exiting his chute and seemed horrified at the term. Turning to
William an American soldier. "Stay on the ground," William ordered. Kimbro relaxed
a little, thinking he might be safe. "American yes." Replied Kimbro. Let's get rid of
that chute German's will surely investigate. Replied William. Kimbro acquiesced.
With William's shovel they buried the chute. Follow me, ordered William and they
crawled to the edge of the woods. We have friends not far so keep quiet and low.
Capt. Kimbro had no problems being directed by an American.
-
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

by TheeTFD » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:27 am
pg 3
-
PFC Donner sneaked up on the shooter. He was preparing to shoot them
when he saw they were fellow Airborne. He clicked his cricket 3 times
to get their attention. They dropped down but eventually responded with
3 crickets. "Yellow", whispered Donner. "Bird" replied the others. Donner
lifted his head up and the strangers made eye contact. "Come with me soldiers",
Ordered Donner. "You scared the flier to my direction." The 3 carefully made
their way back to Growther.
--- "I.D. yourselves", ordered Donner. The NCO's deferred to the officer. Capt.
Leo Kimbro, 8th Army Air Force. Frank Devereau 101st Army Airborne, Joe
Brown PSC 101st Army Airborne. William, Growther and Donner 82 P.I.R.
Sorry about your landing zone. We got waylaid ! Well men, we got us a Captain men,
let's see what he suggest. Kimbro had heard of Pathfinder but didn't know the whole story.
"What were your orders ? And where the heck are we ? Kimbro inquired. Donner answered,
"I'm thinking we are somewhere in Champane, south of Paris, France." "Great we aren't in
Germany", Kimbro sighed. "Whatever we were sent to do won't happen soon," injected Donner.
"We lost our equipment but a bag of grenades". He continued. He lost our rally
point, and several of my squad were dead on impact. " said Devereau. "Well I want to get
back to our lines. But there are numerous enemy between us." Capt. Kimbro warned.
Let's work our way west and see what we run into. "Did you see Paris on the way down ?"
Asked Donner. "No. And I don't remember much either." Kimbro wondered out loud. "What was
your rally point ?" Ours was 20 miles inland of Normandy", we were unable light-up
the LZ, Donner admitted. "Flers", Devereau and Brown announced together.
We were to secure the town. There was thousands of us mostly in gliders.
That was our fault, Donner repeated, we over shot the LZ due to ground fire.
-
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

by TheeTFD » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:53 pm
pg 4
-
It was about noon when Kimbro landed. He figured about 8 1/2 hours before dark.
Donner took the lead as they made there way west. "How are you guys set for water
and food ? Kimbro asked quietly. A couple 3 days, plenty of food was dropped, Donner whispered.
Suddenly Donner kneeled and held up a fist. Movement ahead, "Growther take my 6 about 20 yd back.
And I'll investigate." Donner stealthily moved forward. More Airborne, Donner could
see. He snapped his cricket. PFCs Hilton and Lurendeau answered. "We'll join you, stay put." Donner
commanded. Signalling for his group to advance.
--- Hilton and Lurendeau had dug a nice trench as Hilton's leg was in no condition to travel.
Their glider had crashed about a mile and a half south-west. They were shot at as they
crawled out of the wreck. Lurendeau returned fire and under the cover of a new moon escaped.
That was 2 nights ago., Donner commended them for preparing to hold ground. He asked if there
was any more equipment to be had ? "Mortars and bazookas ammo, oh yeah", said Hilton.
"What about a radio", was Kimbro's concern. Should be, said Hilton, "French may've stolen it all."
"Let's look at that leg", Growther ventured. Hilton revealed a grapefruit sized ankle ! "What was
your objective ?" wondered Kimbro. "Set landing lights and transponders, French resistance was to be strong there."
Donner spoke. "Flers, interrupted Devereau, that was our destination." "We only have a couple of hours light left,
can we get to the crash site and back ? Kimbro wanted to know. "We should investigate. "I think I can get you
there." Lurendeau suggested.
--- The plan was made for Lurendeau and Donner to go with Growther stopping about
half way. The captain wanted in. Leaving Brown, William and Devereau with Hilton. They set out moving
quickly at first only slowing to check open ground. They could see the glider from about 100 yd.
There was too much open ground for them to safely approach. Lurendeau said he'd go, that
was his glider. As soon as he stepped into the clearing they heard a shot ! He ran back.
Did you hear where that came from ? Was Lurendeau's question. From the direction of the glider,
was the best guest.
-
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

by TheeTFD » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:16 am
pg 5
-
--- The evening sun was going to be glaring into their eyes soon. Donner wanted
to retreat to a more secure location. When Kimbro halted him. He could see some thing
being waved. "That might be your French resistance, Kimbro guessed." "But why would
they shoot, it gives their position away." "Take cover. Let them make the next move."
Donner warned. "American !", someone yelled.
--- The Americans stayed put.
But after some antics the two groups came together. The Frenchy leader gave Lurendeau
some Dog-tags and said, "We bury the dead". In the thickest French accent English love to mock.
Lurendeau looked over the tags for a moment, then asked, "Do you have a radio ? Wee, but must
use it petite, Bosh listen.
--- What kind of range does the radio have ? Kimbo wondered. After some wrangling it was
determined their radio could reach London. Can we say 3 words a hour ? Was Kimbro's next
question. "Thee Americans are only 100 kilo-meters away," stuttered and stammered the Frenchy.
Germans fight at Caen. Englander fight at Caen the Frenchy continued. Come with me,
I have maps, Frenchy insisted. Kimbro was out of the loop about D-day.
--- For clarification, Allied feints worked. Gen. Rommel expected the invasion 100 mi. north-east. But at
Omaha Beach Nazi shore fortifications were not destroyed. The English wanted to go north through Belgium.
And it sure seemed personal. The Canadians went with them. Generals Eisenhower and Bradley would head
to Paris and Patton would drive south and east to protect the right flank. Gen. Eisenhower didn't want
Paris. He would be expected to feed the city. He wanted more to keep pressure on the fleeing Germans.
--- Donner and Kimbro followed Frenchy to his hide-out. Lurendeau went back to Hilton. It was dark
now. Frenchy explained he and his gang had been reconnoitring near Flers for 4 yr. He had hide-outs
all over the Vire area. He explained the Bosh stole Parisian money, gold, artworks and food. Yet much
of that was safely moved to little inconspicuous Flers.
--- Can you transmit my name, Kimbro asked ? Frenchy had his men prepare the radio and antenna.
They listened for a minute and heard various communications. It was quiet 5 days ago, said Frenchy.
Then waited until there was relative quiet and said, "Capt. Leo Kimbro".
Capt. Leo Kimbro, go ahead, was returned but Frenchy went radio silent.
--- The Nazi in the Alencon area tried to catch the French Resistance in the Vire area for years. Making
little headway. But they continued to listen anyway. Frenchy listened for a hour and gleaned the Americans
were only 85 Km away.
-
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

by TheeTFD » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:56 am
page 6
-
--- 6/15/1944, Donner wanted to get his men together, Kimbro and Frenchy made
plans for getting to or reaching Allied lines.
--- With daylight the vision of a volatile land came to bare. Nazi protected France. Don't
you love that ? Nazi ipso facto protected France.[from their Allies] Stolen, marshalled and robbed for 3 yr.
Don't you just love that ? Unsexy for 3 yr.
--- Scattered 82sd and 101st Airborne looking to kill or be killed. Perhaps a thousand,* half west
and half east of Flers and Alencon. [due to low clouds and ground fire, 30 seconds late and you're 30 mi. off course]
Donner started walking into them. He took command because he knew the situation having walked with Resistance
and an officer. When he returned with Hilton to Resistance they were 60 strong. With a lieutenant and radios.
--- The Resistance was eager to see them. Frenchy knew the Nazi hiding places. Mostly the biggest house in the town.
But they were exiting/condensing due to the onslaught at the Normandy Beaches. The bombing onslaught of the past
3 years had whittled the Luftwaffe down to just 2 fighter attacks ! 6000 ships unloaded war equipment for weeks.
Even built a temporary pier. But the Pathfinders were spread all over the place.
--- 60 men were enough for Frenchy, he wanted to enter Flers, to catch the Nazi exit. And begged the Lieutenant for
a squad. Capt. Kimbro would be happy to get back to command with Hilton and others. By now the radio was open
as there would be no stealth. It didn't take much begging to get 30 men plus now 50 Resistance to flood Flers.
From 20 mile away.
--- Bradley's communication officer had contacted command for the name. It took 3 hours. Patton was curving down the
south-western coast with Gen. Bradley further inland. About 30 days of amassing men and equipment in Normandy before
the concerted effort to drive inland. Kimbro was told to stay put. And it might take 5 hours for a solution.
--- Lt. Reese Davis listened to Frenchy's plan to cut off the Nazi exit. They might catch them 15 km beyond town.
But they could go NW to Paris. And Frenchy had a plan for that too. [due to the angle of the road, and their starting position]
They were looking at a 20 mile hike. After 10 miles their numbers swell to 150. Lt. Reese explained the situation to
the newbies. What Frenchy had told Lt. Reese is Flers was a depository for Parisian wealth. And was worried the Nazi
would find it. It was inconspicuously stored in a basement. But Nazi's had their way of finding the money.
--- Nazi were dug-in at St. Lo and Caen. Leaving a large gap in between. Driving south from Bayeau might be a good way to go.
-
* 23 thousand, twice now I've printed something online then YouTube shows me more vids. I hadn't seen them before.
-
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

by TheeTFD » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:35 am
page 7
-
--- 8th Air Force made it clear, if verified, they wanted that name big time. When Gen. Bradley got the news
he got Cornell Spreege to form a detail to get Kimbro. It was to be just beyond Vire where they
would join. As Bradley was to take Vire anyway. He gave Capt. Foreman the detail. 30 well armed soldiers,
a mine detector, a truck with extra fuel, 2-way radios, 9 Shermans and mounted machine gun on a jeep.
The round trip wouldn't be more than 80 miles. 80 miles of walking would be nothing for these soldiers.
Figure 3 mph, times 10 hours would be pushing it. The Shermans could do the round trip with a range of 60
miles across country. These were the basic M4. The Shermans would cover a couple miles then wait for the
infantry to catch up. The hedgerows were quite the obstacle. They had to blast their way through or check
the road for mines. As long as the infantry could walk in tank tracks they were ok.
--- The first few miles out of Bayeux were taken very slowly. Just because there was no action didn't mean the
Germans weren't there. Spies could set up an ambush.
--- Kimbro the wounded and supporting French and Americans set out on foot. About the same time. But a
day too soon. Slowly they came out of cover and walked toward Vire. They made it clear soon after they wouldn't go
far, by radio. Not a big deal, Foreman figured he could find them. They would try for a little hamlet called Chanu.
--- The detail got pretty good working together. Soon they were having a hot meal and hot coffee when they stopped.
By leaving a bag of food near the engine. Foreman wanted to frown on that but just couldn't.
--- 2 and 1/2 days later they saw the out skirt of Vire. They found some people that showed immense joy at the sight
of Americans. After all the congratulations a route to Chanu was planned. 50 paratroopers were held up in
Vire. Lt. Foreman took 3 and left 3 M4s. The Germans had left on 5 days ago. After a small skirmish with the Paratroopers.
Two of each group were killed after they landed but this squad of Germans had killed a half dozen while still in the air.
--- The detail proceeded carefully to Chanu. Radio contact zeroed them together. "You are a wanted man."
Was Foreman's glad response at the sight of the scruffy Captain. A hardy shake of all the hands was Kimbro's
best reaction. When Kimbro came to his senses he wanted to know who, what when and where.
D-day was so hush hush he hadn't got the news. Foreman give Kimbro the good and the bad. The good:
the Allies were back on Europe and unloading enough equipment to drive the Nazi out of France. The bad:
They had lost a lot of men on Omaha Beach and the Paratroopers had missed their marks. Kimbro said he
was glad for the latter. All they had to do now was get him to an airfield. The only safe one was in Bayeux.
--- Frenchy and Lt. Reece kept a fairly brisk pace walking to Flers. It would be nice to know if the Nazi had
stolen the fortune hidden in Flers. If they hadn't it might take some pep out of their step but Frenchy wanted
them dead. 3 years of Nazi servitude and borderline slavery took its toll. Not to mention the occasional murder
of some brave mouth father. Though French Resistance was being supplied with air-drops they couldn't do much.
One dead German equaled 10 dead French civilians !
-
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

by TheeTFD » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:34 am
page 8
-
--- Capt. Foreman made contact with command. Through code he let them know "8th" and "free ticket", was returning.
They gassed up and headed out the next morning.
With 1/2 dozen wounded in the truck and Kimbro, they headed for Bayeux. About 1/2 way there some shells started
exploding around the detail. They were in open country so Foreman made for some hedgerows. "I think that came from
the left". Sgt. Gray called over the tank channel. "Pepper the hedgerows, they might have spotters in there". Returned
Foreman. "Those were large shells." Repeated Sgt. Gray. Foreman called back to Vire and request 2 of his tanks to charge
to him. He told command he was taking shells and would like air cover. Command sent 2 P-47 Thunderbolts. Foreman didn't
want to run for it, if he didn't need to. Not with a truck full of wounded. With 5 tanks for battle and one covering the
truck, Foreman told his detail to blast left through the hedges and blast anything that moves. They blasted through 2
hedgerows. Then they saw it, a Tiger ! 60 tons of rolling firepower. "Full reverse !" called Foreman.
--- As the tank in front of the Tiger he would need to distract it. While his other tanks worked to it's sides. He got back
behind the hedges keeping his nose to the Tiger. Shells whizzed by. "Turn south to get along side him !" Ordered Foreman.
To the other M4s. Foreman's driver did a reverse zig-zag to put some distance between the two. The other M4s hadn't
seen the monster, they were in a different field. A field of vineyards no less. Now it was one thing to crush wheat, corn-
stocks or potatoes but grape vines ? Frenchy could only take so much. The M4s were going around the field. Sgt. Proffer
stopped his tank popped his lid and ran to the hedges to see if he could spot the Tiger. Infantry shot him. The other M4s
went around Proffer's tank and started shooting pell-mell into the hedges. Proffer was badly wounded but made it back
inside his tank. He ordered his gunner to shoot straight through the hedges. By now the Tiger knew of the side attack.
Which was good for Foreman. But Proffer's tank took a direct hit to the barrel. The blow yanked the shielding around
the barrel up, thus ramming the breach into the loader's clavicle, breaking it. Some of the plasma flew into the tank.
Finishing Sgt. Proffer. The tank could still move so PFC Martini got the hell out of there. Ruining many more vines as
he went.
--- Foreman had time to tell the cover tank to make a run for it. Which they did. Foreman saw his chance to engage
the Tiger. The Tiger had backed up some to square up on the side attack. And was firing blindly through the holes the
M4s were making. The first hit creased a turret. The M4s re-positioned as they could. Foreman charged through
his original hole and went straight for the Tiger. He got off a shot that wrinkled the track. He told the other tanks to
cease fire and come through the hedge. The Tiger's slow moving electric turret was coming to bare on the tank
following Foreman and they saw it. A speedy right turn was all the driver could do. The Tiger started forward, allowing the
Tiger's turret to keep rotating.
-
TheeTFD

Post by TheeTFD »

page 9
-
--- By now Frenchy's squad was 200 strong. They entered Flers at night, where Frenchy asked for stealth.
He had to find a farmers barn. The Germans had left a week ago. The night meeting with the farmer
didn't go well. They found the stash and assumed the priest knew about it, so they burned the churches
sacraments then killed the priest. It would be difficult to catch them now but they could radio ahead.
--- Germans had been making off with French wealth for 3 years. But as they found it they sent it mostly
by rail to Germany. Frenchy radioed the Resistance to be on the look out for trucks recently leaving and
to shoot the tires out if need be. It would be a small detachment and they should stop it at all cost.
But do NOT blast !
--- Foreman chose to stay side by side with the Tiger. The Tigers barrel hung over the side at least 5 feet.
By reversing he could give his detail time to pound its ass. The barrel was now kissing his turret ! Simultaneous
blast from the rear Sherman and the Tiger finished the 2 combatants. German infantry shot Panzerfaust
into the rear M4. Game over for them. The 2 remaining M4s dealt with the infantry. Panzerfaust rocked their
world.
--- By now the P-47s were overhead and relaying back to command. "I can't engage, Shermans on top
of the Tiger." Command asked about a big stake bed truck. "Yes, it's following a Sherman". "Then escort
them to Bayeux". The P-47s overlooked the carnage and made a strafing run. Then buzzed the truck and
Sherman. About time, was all Kimbro could say.
--- Frenchy finally got good news. A small convoy of Germans was stopped outside Paris. It was messy
but they returned art and gold.
--- Capt. Kimbro took a Mitchell back to England. He was forced to give a written account of his ordeal.
After he stopped sobbing he gave a full account. He insisted on Purple Hearts and Medal of Honours for
all the Tankers lost.

the end